Porsche 911 GT2 Club and Register

Porsche 911 GT2 Club and Register Forum Discussion

991 GT2 news, rumours, speculation and general ignorance

Gavin

Gavin

From what I've read it appears that there's some debate as to whether the mighty GT2 badge will be carried on in the 991 range.

The GT Spirit article here:
http://www.gtspirit.com/2014/01/18/porsche-991-gt2-not-yet-confirmed/

mentions that August Acheitner (the head of the 911 model) has said that the decision on the 991 GT2

“has not been made”

and

“There are reasons inside the company, and to write today that there will be a GT2 in the future would not be correct.”

Reasons for this include:

Achleitner said, “If you take a look at today’s Turbo S and the performance this car produces . . . you cut away the front-wheel drive for the GT2, but the car loses traction.”

This sounds to me like either 1) marketing hype to create some tension before the car's announced or 2) they genuinely haven't decided yet.

Fingers crossed it'll get into production, even though it will probably be 4wd, PDK, rear wheel steer etc etc.
  • Posted: Jun 2, 2014
  • 0 likes
carfan

carfan

Heard that there wasn't going to be a 991 GT2. Would be a departure from Porsche's usual strategy of cashing in on 911 derivatives though.
  • Posted: Jun 16, 2014
  • 0 likes
carfan

carfan

This is most likely the new GT3 RS but could easily be the GT2...

• Posted: Jun 16, 2014
  • 0 likes
Gavin

Gavin

From what I've read I believe that's the RS, there's talk of it being turbocharged, although that might be the gen 2.

This adds weight to the rumour that the GT2 might not make it in 991 form :cry:
  • Posted: Jun 17, 2014
  • 0 likes
Gavin

Gavin

Still no news about a 991 GT2. The GT3 RS is soon to be announced so if there is going to be one there should be news shortly after that.
  • Posted: Aug 13, 2014
  • 0 likes
Gavin

Gavin

Still no news around anywhere.

I just re-read this article on AutoCar from 2013 and it's amazing how inaccurate it is and is just pure speculation...

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/porsche-911-gt2-turbo-latest-spy-shots

A top speed of more than 200mph and a 0-62mph time of close to 3.0sec is expected from the GT2ís 552bhp twin-turbocharged 3.9-litre flat-six engine ñ something it shares with the new Turbo S.

The GT2 will take much of its mechanical underpinnings from the Turbo S, including its dual-clutch automatic gearbox. However, the GT2 is likely to ditch the Tubo Sís four-wheel drive system in favour of rear-wheel drive. A new four-wheel steering system will make its debut on the GT2.

An RS version of the car, putting out more than 620bhp, will be revealed in 2015.

Just totally made up!
  • Posted: Aug 21, 2014
  • 0 likes
KAL

KAL

What did we say they will NOT build another GT2. And anyway the photos above look like the 3RS photo shout ??
  • Posted: Aug 22, 2014
  • 0 likes
Gavin

Gavin

ORIGINAL: KAL

What did we say they will NOT build another GT2. And anyway the photos above look like the 3RS photo shout ??

Yep, that's the 3RS test car.

It doesn't look like there's going to be a GT2, wouldn't put it past Porsche to knock out a special edition Turbo with a GT2 badge though, we'll see....
  • Posted: Aug 27, 2014
  • 0 likes
KAL

KAL

A part of hopes they don't produce another GT2 for obvious reasons :-) selfish I know but that's me all over
  • 0 likes
Gavin

Gavin

Same here mate, long term it'll be great for values of our cars, although it'll be sad to see an end to the GT2 badge.
  • 0 likes
Gavin

Gavin

From a thread on pistonheads it seems that somebody has tried to put a deposit on a 991 GT2 and was told that there isn't one in the pipeline.

With the 991 GT3 RS about to be launched and noises already being made about the gen 2 991 it's looking very shakey for the GT2 - I guess they could do a gen 2 GT2 RS special or something, maybe even a gen 2 only car.

Who knows...
  • Posted: Sep 10, 2014
  • 0 likes

Reply to this discussion

Please log in to post a reply.